Makes +- 2 liters
- 250g fruit cake mix
- 50g green glace cherries cut in half
- 50g red glace cherries cut in half
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Half cup brandy
- 1 cup strong rooibos tea
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- Half scraped vanilla pod or 5ml vanilla essence
- 200g castor sugar
- 500ml cream
- Half cup pecan nuts chopped (optional)
- Place the fruit cake mix, cherries, cinnamon, brandy and rooibos tea in pot and bring to a slow simmer.
- On low heat, keep on stirring until all the liquid is absorbed, taking care not to burn it.
- Let the mixture cool down totally.
- Place eggs, egg yolks, vanilla and sugar in a heat proof bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Place on top of a saucepan with simmering water and whisk until thick, and pale, about 20 minutes.
- Let it cool down for 20 minutes.
- Fold in whipped cream, chilled fruit cake mix and nuts if used.
- Freeze in a bread tin lined with plastic wrap to be able to unmould when ready, slice and serve with your favourite fruit syrup and white chocolate sauce.
- You could also freeze in a container and use an ice-cream scoop to serve.